Tuesday, August 05, 2008

A Tragedy.

Here is the first banana bread I ever baked. It was perfect. I mixed the ingredients exactly. I baked it for 1 hour and 20 minutes. My house smelled like heaven. It could not have turned out better. And here I set it on my counter to cool, and I took a quick picture to share with my friends and family. I was so proud. This was my first bread! I was about to start loading the picture from my camera when I hear: CRASH!

My dogs had pushed themselves up on the counter where the bread was and flipped the plate to the ground. My kitchen floor is clean, but not THAT clean. There is dog hair in small quantities. There is are broken shards of glass. My bread, only minutes from it's oven womb, was killed.

I tasted a small part of the crust before buring it in the trash. It tasted perfect. It was the finest taste of banana bread my mouth had ever savored. This loaf was meant to be shared with the world, and now it is just another sack of baked fruit and flour and sugar and eggs... gone too young, before it had a chance to impact the world for the better. Banana Bread Loaf, I mourn for thee.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

you're crazy!

get a little knife, like a paring knife, and just peel the crust off the loaf! even though the crust is the best part, the innards are still pretty good!

or sit there with it in the floor, with a bright lamp, and pick off every bit of crud you can find!

you can never throw a whole loaf of fresh bread away! i'm going to have nightmares now...